- Code ECON2009
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Economics
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Economics
- Areas of interest Economics, Management
- Academic career UGRD
- AsPr Kailing Shen
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2019
See Future Offerings
This course provides a theoretical and empirical discussion of labour markets. Main topics to be discussed are: labour supply, including determinants of labour market participation and hours of works; investments in human capital and returns to education; labour demand; labour market equilibrium and wage determination; discrimination in the labour makets; internal labour markets; trade unions, and macroeconomic issues related to wages and unemployment. Policy application questions will be covered whenever appropriate.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- apply economic analysis to a wide range of labour market issues;
- be exposed to the empirical analysis of contemporary issues in labour economics;
- be able to examine a number of important policy issues.
- A mandatory mid semester exam - 40% (40) [LO null]
- 2.5 hour final exam - 60% (60) [LO null]
- Two home assignments - 20% (20) [LO null]
- A Mandatory mid semester examination - 30% (30) [LO null]
- 2.5 hour final exam - 50% (50) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Two 1-hour lectures and one tutorial per week.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.