- Code ECON2016
- Unit Value 6 units
Economics 2(H) includes ECON2102 Macroeconomics 2 with two additional contact hours a week. It is designed for the better performing students who want to extend their exposure to economics beyond that offered in the standard second year courses in microeconomics and macroeconomics. As such, students enrolling in this course should have achieved at least a credit (above 60%) for Microeconomics 2.
The Honours component includes advanced material in intermediate microeconomics. It builds on material that students have studied in Microeconomics 2, and is more mathematical (using basic calculus). Lectures will include topics drawn from public finance, international economics, welfare economics and cost benefit analysis, such as
utility and choice, household production, expected utility and choice under uncertainty, general equilibrium models with production, the trade-off between equity and efficiency, the theory of the second best, cost benefit analysis and the social discount rate.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an understanding of a coherent set of ideas for underlying macroeconomic phenomena and policy issues;
- demonstrate an understanding of the assumptions, structure and micro-foundations of a macroeconomic model and recognise its power and shortcomings;
- formulate a relevant model and use such analytical tools in addressing a key macroeconomic question independently;
- demonstrate an understanding of the different ways in which economic issues can be tackled;
- demonstrate the ability to analyse problems from an economic perspective, or at least understand how economists think;
- recognise the economic issues in a problem and apply the appropriate tools to analyse it.;
- demonstrate an understanding of the economic tools taught in class and be able to apply them to analyse real world problems and policy issues.
- ECON2102 Quizzes (7) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- ECON2102 Mid Semester Exam (23) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- ECON2102 Final Exam (35) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- ECON2016 Quizzes (5) [LO 5,6,7]
- ECON2016 Problem Sets (5) [LO 5,6,7]
- ECON2016 Final Exam (25) [LO 5,6,7]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsThere is no prescribed text. A detailed outline, reading list and the associated readings for each topic will be placed on the course wattle web site
Assumed KnowledgeStandard intermediate economics, including an understanding of budget constraints, marginal analysis, and multivariate optimisation. An aptitude for advanced economic thinking.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.