- Code ECON3004
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Economics
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Economics
- Areas of interest Economics
Size and scope of health sector: Economic explanations for growth in health sector; Distinctive economic characteristics of the commodity ' health care'; Grossman's model of health capital; Determinants of the demand for health care; The demand for health insurance: Health and health care production functions: The interaction between health insurance and technological change in health care: Health manpower; Economic models of hospitals; Managed Care; The pharmaceutical industry; Economic evaluation of health care programs. Throughout the course the emphasis will be on the application of microeconomic analysis to health issues.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successfull completion of this course, students will:
- be able to use microeconomic analysis to evaluate health economics issues;
- understand the size and scope of the health sector;
- be familiar with economic explanations for growth in the health sector;
- know about the distinctive economic characteristics of the commodity ' health care' - the determinants of the demand for health care, demand for health insurance and the supply of health, as well as health and health care production functions
See the course outline on the College courses page. Outlines are uploaded as they become available.
One mid-semester exam, and one final exam
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadTwo lectures per week with tutorials throughout the semester.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.