- Code ITAL3020
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Italian
- Areas of interest Contemporary Europe, Cultural Studies, European Languages, Literature, Film
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
This course introduces students to post-war Italian cinema and its cultural contexts. It familiarises them with a variety of critical approaches and allows them to analyse films as representatives of specific cinematographic genres and styles (ranging from neorealism to postmodernism), and as reflections on and interpretations of post-war Italian culture. The course covers issues such as wartime resistance, fascism, migration within and to Italy, gender, organised crime and national identity.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- discuss and critically analyse different cinematographic genres and styles of post-war Italian Cinema;
- develop an understanding of the cultural context of post-war Italy;
- critically analyse the ways in which select post-war Italian films reflect on and interpret the social and political issues of their time; and
- develop knowledge of specialist language in relation to film studies in Italian.
- Student-led seminar (40 minutes, group work individually assessed) (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- 2000-word research essay (40) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- 2000-word reflective journal (40) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- (null) [LO null]
- (null) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time consisting of:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 12 hours of student-led seminars (in Italian) and 24 hours of instructor-led seminars (all classes will include problem-based discussions and will be interactive); and
b) 94 hours of independent student research including scheduled screenings of films studied in the course.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsAll texts will be available on Wattle and films will be available through the ANU Library.
Assumed KnowledgeKnowledge of Italian language and culture as specified by requisites listed above.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.