- Code MUSC8012
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Archaeology and Anthropology
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Museum and Collection
- Areas of interest History, Museums and Collections, Arts, Heritage Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Adele Chynoweth
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
First Semester 2019
See Future Offerings
Through an overview of the educational and learning contexts of a wide range of Australian and international museums and heritage sites, students will be guided into developing analytical, synthetic and evaluative skills that allow them to observe, assess, design and implement educational exhibitions/programs in museum and heritage settings. Students will also be guided into experiential investigations of local or virtual museum/heritage settings, and contact with professionals in those settings and to examine learning theories, critical pedagogy, audiences, curricula and policies, practices of learning and evaluations of learning in museums and heritage sites. The course will also enable students to consider cases of public contestation which position heritage professionals and museums into the role of learner.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- describe the scope and characteristics of the different types of learning that occurs in museums and heritage sites (on-site and virtually), including early childhood and school learning, adult learning, lifelong learning, family learning, and community learning, and give examples of exemplary exhibitions/programs;
- evaluate theories of learning relevant to museum and heritage sites and be able to situate those theories within the context of public and school exhibitions/programs;
- demonstrate the conceptual and analytical skills to engage a variety of audiences in appropriate learning in the museum/heritage context by planning and implementing cost-effective learning/interpretive exhibitions/programs, including with relation to school curricula, open-air sites, indigenous communities, and/or using relevant technologies where appropriate; and
- identify and analyse the role of heritage professionals and museums as learners.
Indicative AssessmentLearning journal, 1000 words (20%) (Learning outcomes 1, 2, 3)
Oral presentation, 10 minutes (15%) (Learning outcome 4)
Analysis of education programme, 1000 words (15%) (Learning outcomes 1, 2)
Learning activity plan, 3000 words (50%) (Learning outcomes 1, 2, 3)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks of lectures, tutorials and seminars; and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.