- Code SKRT3004
- Unit Value 6 units
The four-year Sanskrit program is designed to introduce students to the broadest possible range of literary genres, including epic, courtly poetry, drama, Upaniadic verse and Vedic.
In this course students will engage with a selection of readings from the Bhagavad Gita or a Purana or a similar text.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Intermediate level of Sanskrit to:
1. Read extracts from Sanskrit dramas smoothly and accurately.
2. Translate the vocabulary of the text in hand with a high level of competence in the use of a Sanskrit-English dictionary.
3. Demonstrate thorough understanding of the advanced grammatical structures employed in Sanskrit dramas, and demonstrate expertise in using reference grammars.
4. Appraise the linguistic registers of the root text, in contrast with other genres of Sanskrit literature, and reflect this in appropriate English translation; respond creatively to the root text in an appropriate medium.
5. Demonstrate an ability to interpret commentarial texts, showing an understanding of commentarial techniques and vocabulary.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of the social and historical contexts of Sanskrit dramas.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4507||25 Feb 2019||04 Mar 2019||31 Mar 2019||31 May 2019||In Person||N/A|
|4508||25 Feb 2019||04 Mar 2019||31 Mar 2019||31 May 2019||Online||N/A|