- Code SPAN6516
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, European Studies, Language Studies, Latin American Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Manuel Delicado Cantero
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2019
See Future Offerings
History of the Spanish Language, a linguistic time travel is an introduction to the main concepts and methods of the analysis of Spanish across time. The course focuses on the evolution of Spanish from Latin, paying attention to the changes in its components (sounds, verbs, configurations, etc.) and to the external history of the language in Spain and the world. Students will examine Spanish in its historical and changing nature and will explore the main literary works from a linguistic and cultural perspective.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the structures of Spanish across time using proper specialized terminology.
- Describe the changing and evolving nature of Spanish.
- Produce a critical summary on a linguistic topic.
- Demonstrate improvement in oral and written communication at an advanced level.
- Analyse research methodology and/or conclusions of relevant scholarly publications in the field.
Indicative AssessmentExam, 2 hours (25%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4]
Oral presentation, 15 min (30%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4]
Writing task and presentation, approx. 2000 words and approx. 15 min (35%) [Learning Outcomes 1-4]
Class engagement (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1-4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3 hours of class per week, and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsReadings will be posted on the course Wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4098||25 Feb 2019||04 Mar 2019||31 Mar 2019||31 May 2019||In Person||View|