- Code STAT3038
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Rsch Sch of Finance, Actuarial Studies & App Stats
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Statistics
- Areas of interest Actuarial Studies, Statistics
This course provides a simplified model for solving actuarial problems in practice. Sample actuarial problems are examined in detail, with solutions being developed using Excel and Visual Basic. These solutions are then reported to the stakeholders of the problem. The aim of this course is to develop actuarial capabilities beyond the technical foundations taught in other actuarial courses.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify actuarial problems in a variety of contexts.
- Identify the key factors that need to be taken into account in solving actuarial problems.
- Use computer-based tools to assist in solving actuarial problems.
- Communicate in writing the results of the solution to the actuarial problem to a variety of stakeholders.
- Typical assessment may include, but is not restricted to: assignments and a final exam (null) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Students are expected to commit at least 10 hours per week to completing the work in this course. This will include at least 3 contact hours per week and up to 7 hours of private study time.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Weekly lecture notes will be available on Wattle. Hard copies of the lecture notes will not be provided in class. It is up to the student to print out the lecture notes from Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.