- Code STST8013
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Strategic and Defence Studies Centre
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Strategic Studies
- Areas of interest Political Sciences
- Academic career PGRD
- Xiaoyu Lu
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2019
See Future Offerings
China's re-emergence as a significant economic and political actor is a geopolitical development of the first order. It has been a century since the international system has had to accommodate a wholly new major power, particularly a power that has the potential to rival even the weight of the US. This course seeks to equip students to assess the trajectory of China's current rise to prominence and its probable implications, particularly for stability in East Asia and for the wider modalities of global governance. The course will cover China's political, economic and military policies and capabilities, as well the development of China's relations with other key actors.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Assess the trajectory of China’s current rise to prominence and its probable implications, particularly for stability in East Asia and for the wider modalities of global governance.
- Critically analyse China’s political, economic and military policies and capabilities
- Evaluate the development of China’s relations with other key actors.
- Short written assignment (20) [LO 1,2,3]
- Essay (40) [LO 1,2,3]
- Examination (40) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Students undertaking this course could expect a workload of 10 hours per week. This is inclusive of actual contact hours for lectures and also out of class preparation time.
No Prescribed Texts
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.