- Code PHYS3101
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Physics Education Centre
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Physics
- Areas of interest Physics, Science
- Academic career UGRD
- Prof Joseph Hope
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2019
See Future Offerings
This core third year physics course develops quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics will be generalised to a broad range of systems, from matter to photons. Topics covered will include foundations, symmetries, angular momentum, and the Lagrangian formulation of quantum mechanics. It also gives an introduction to many-body quantum mechanics, entanglement, bosons and fermions, occupation number notation, theory of open quantum systems, density matrices and master equations, dynamical calculations and approximations in quantum field theories, non-locality and reality and quantum measurement. This course is required for the physics major, the theoretical physics major, and is recommended for those intending to do the honours year in Physics.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Describe the basic Hilbert space structures describing all quantum field theories,
- Model physical systems using common approximation techniques for making dynamical calculations.
- Discuss the difficulties with the theory of quantum measurement and local realism.
- Critically analyse current candidates for a fully defined quantum theory.
- Obtain independent scientific knowledge from literature, and communicate it effectively to peers.
Indicative AssessmentAssessment consists of:
- Assignments and online questions (35%; LO 1-4)
- Two communication projects (20%; LO 4)
- Exam (45%; LO 1-3)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadOne three hour workshop per week (with online lecture material), and optional weekly tutorial.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.