- Code PORT2002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Portuguese
- Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, Translation Studies, Latin American Languages, Latin American Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course builds on Continuing Portuguese I. The primary goal of this course is to continue to solidify listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in the Portuguese language at an advanced level by exposing students to more complex texts, audio-visual material and through individual project work about topics of students’ interest. It also aims to further deepen intercultural knowledge and understanding of cultural practises and traditions in Portuguese speaking countries around the world.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of Portuguese grammar and lexicon;
- demonstrate advanced communicative skills such as being able to function effectively in a Portuguese-speaking environment in predictable and unpredictable situations;
- analyse, extract, and use information from spoken and written Portuguese;
- write brief, coherent texts and descriptions using more complex structures and vocabulary; and
- demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of cultural practices specific to Portuguese societies in the world.
Indicative AssessmentTwo exams, 50 min each (40%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 5]
Two written assignments, 800 words each (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4, 5]
Two oral presentations, recorded, 15 min each (30%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4, 5]
Tutorial participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: communicative practise and learning in language tutorials; and
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing in preparation for the weekly language tutorials.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsPrescribed texts will be listed on the Course Wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8127||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|