- Code SPAN6501
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, Translation Studies, Latin American Languages, Latin American Studies
This course is a practical introduction to the Spanish language. Based on a communicative and culture-based approach, this course is designed to develop basic listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in the Spanish language. Students are introduced to grammatical and syntactic structures, and training in language learning strategies is provided. The student acquires the language largely through simulated real-life situations in the classroom as well as in the laboratory. Throughout the semester, cultural aspects of the Hispanic world are introduced through the language classes.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify differences and similarities of grammatical structures in Spanish and English;
- Understand and use the audiovisual material (exercises and videos) in Spanish;
- Read, comprehend and understand short literary and non-literary texts about customs and culture in Spanish speaking countries;
- Write short texts; and
- Ask questions, directions and discuss a variety of topics confidently in Spanish.
- Reflect on their learning experience
Indicative Assessment4 mini test 10 min each (5% each, total 20%), [LOs 1,2,3]
1 in-class essay 50 min (150-170 words, 15%) [LO 4]
2 written tests 50 min each (15%, 20% each, total 35%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
1 oral exam 10 min (15%) [LOs 1,5]
1 Reflective Essay, 1500 words, 10% [LO 1,3,4,6]
Performance and participation in class (5%). [LOs 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 36 hours of communicative practise and learning in language tutorials and 12 hours by interactive grammar lectures; and
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsPrescribed texts will be listed on the Course Wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.