- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies
- Minor code AARB-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact Ms Leila Kouatly
Arabic is the native language of over 250 million people in the Middle East (West Asia and North Africa), and one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Arabic is also the language of the Qur'an with special importance to all Muslims. Arabic is the language of an ancient civilization, which contributed greatly to human knowledge. Its influence is strongly felt on such languages as Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian and Malay, among others. Arabic is also the living medium of a contemporary dynamic literature and culture. Its rich and magnificent poetry, classical and modern, is especially captivating.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Write texts in Arabic in the appropriate genre, with correct grammatical structures and thematic vocabulary relevant to the level of the student.
- Read, comprehend and infer authors' meanings in newspapers, magazines, literary and critical texts written in Arabic.
- Engage with authentic media such as Arabic news, movies or music by analysing and evaluating their content.
- Communicate verbally in a variety of settings with proficient Arabic speakers.
- Identify and differentiate aspects and issues of the cultures and societies associated with the Arabic language.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A minimum of 12 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
ARAB3001 Advanced Arabic A
ARAB3002 Advanced Arabic B
ARAB3008 Arab Current Affairs and Media Arabic
ARAB3009 A Semester in the Arab World
A maximum of 12 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
ARAB2011 Intermediate Arabic A
ARAB2012 Intermediate Arabic B
ARAB3003 Introductory Course to Arabic Linguistics
ARAB3004 Research Project (Arabic)
ARAB3005 Introductory Course to Arabic Literature
ARAB3006 Special Topics in Arabic
ARAB3007 Directed Study Project (Arabic)
ARAB3010 Applied Arabic
POLS2031 Politics in the Middle EastBack to the top