- Total units 24 Units
- Specialisation code INTL-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
International law regulates the relations between States and with other actors at the international level and can affect society in a variety of ways, both internationally and at the domestic level. It helps us to explain and analyse interactions in the international community and their impact within national societies.
This International Law specialisation will give you the skills necessary to navigate the international legal system, with the opportunity to focus on areas of particular interest through a wide array of elective courses, many of which require the completion of a substantial research paper.
This specialisation is highly flexible, allowing you to choose courses that are compatible with your current profession or that extend your knowledge in new directions. Whether you are working in private practice, an NGO, within government or are looking to expand your legal knowledge for a future career – this program offers diversity, flexibility and knowledge suitable for a wide range of students.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. evaluate complex problems, concepts and theories in international law and devise solutions appropriate to the specific context.
2. undertake legal research, legal writing and resolution of complex legal problems with an international or transnational dimension across a range of issues and topics of an international character.
3. research and write on the practice or theory of international law including in-depth legal research in the international law field.
4. incorporate social, policy, comparative or interdisciplinary approaches into legal analysis of international issues.
5. communicate legal, policy and theoretical perspectives of international legal issues effectively to a range of audiences, both verbally and in writing.
6. structure, sustain and evaluate legal argument in both general and specialist areas of international law.
7. develop and apply legal knowledge to complex international legal problems in an analytical and creative manner.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
LAWS8003 - Transnational Business and Human Rights
LAWS8009 - Transnational Anti-Corruption Laws
LAWS8010 - Environmental Protection and Human Rights
LAWS8019 - Special Topics in International Security Law
LAWS8023 - International Law and United Nations Peace Operations
LAWS8032 - International Financial Institutions and Development
LAWS8035 - Cyber Warfare Law
LAWS8066 - Intersection of International Humanitarian and Human Rights Law
LAWS8073 - Trade Remedies Law: WTO Law & Domestic Implementation
LAWS8122 - Special Topics in International Law
LAWS8129 - Marine and Coastal Law
LAWS8136 - International Intellectual Property Law
LAWS8144 - Conflict of Laws
LAWS8177 - International Internship
LAWS8178 - International Law and Use of Force
LAWS8179 - International Security Law
LAWS8180 - International Climate Law
LAWS8182 - Principles of International Law
LAWS8183 - Advanced Principles of International Law
LAWS8184 - The Law of International Institutions
LAWS8229 - International Law of World Trade
LAWS8234 - International and Comparative Human Rights Law
LAWS8247 - Comparative Civil and Political Rights
LAWS8252 - International Refugee Law
LAWS8253 - Law of The Sea
LAWS8264 - International Law of The Environment
LAWS8268 - International Humanitarian Law
LAWS8277 - International Business Transactions
LAWS8297 - International Law and Australian Government
LAWS8301 - Graduate Research Unit
LAWS8315 - Maritime Security Law
LAWS8320 - Critical Approaches to International Law
LAWS8330 - International Labour Law
LAWS8332 - International Investment Treaties: Law, Arbitration and Policy
LAWS8333 - International Law Internship
LAWS8423 - International Dispute Resolution
LAWS8464 - Advanced International Law
LAWS8471 - Refugee Law
LAWS8474 - Climate Law
LAWS8566 - International Criminal Law
LAWS8567 - International Dispute Resolution
LAWS8579 - Ethno-Political Conflicts and International Law
LAWS8582 - Global Health Law
LAWS8583 - Indigenous Peoples and International Law
LAWS8585 - International Aviation Law
Back to the top