- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Science
- Specialisation code SCNC-HSPC
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Science Honours specialisation is intended for students who have a broad and interdisciplinary training in science and are interested in undertaking an independent research project that crosses standard disciplinary boundaries. The honours specialisation is usually taken full time for two consecutive semesters and includes research training, in-depth analysis of current concepts in the fields as well as a substantial research project culminating in the production of a thesis. Honours is a solid foundation in the basics of research and can be an entry into many careers both within and outside of science.
Satisfaction of the admission requirements described in the relevant honours plan:
- with a major or equivalent in an area of science.
- and with the written approval of an identified supervisor for the research project.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Plan and engage in an independent and sustained critical investigation of a chosen research topic to generate new knowledge in an area of science.
2. Systematically evaluate relevant theory and concepts in science, relate these to appropriate methodologies and evidence and draw appropriate conclusions.
3. Analyse and interpret original science research data with statistical or other evaluative processes where appropriate.
4. Demonstrate sufficient mastery to understand and apply relevant experimental techniques and methods in science to collect original research data.
5. Communicate and justify complex concepts and results clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
The assessment aligns with the learning outcomes and includes:
Research Proposal and Introductory Seminar (10%) (LO1,2,4,5)
Research Training and Methodology Tutorial Tests (20%) (LO 2,3,5)
Research Thesis (60%) (LO 1,2,3,4,5)
Research Seminar (10%) (LO5)
- Bachelor of Biotechnology (Honours) (HBIOT)
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies (Honours) (HENVS)
- Bachelor of Genetics (Honours) (HGENE)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMDSA)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMEDS)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science (APHSC)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) / Bachelor of Science (Honours) - ANU as home institution (APNSC)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (Honours) (ASCAD)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (HSC)