- Code ARAB3007
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Arabic
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies
This course involves a special study based on the student's other courses taken previously or concurrently. Readings can be in any of the following areas: Arabic literature, Islamic studies or Middle Eastern studies. Students completing this course should be able to undertake a small scale research project in Arabic studies, Islamic studies or Middle Eastern studies in an area of interest to them and consistent with the aim of the course; and present the findings of their research in a scholarly manner.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate proficiency in written structures of sophisticated complexity;
- demonstrate their capacity to understand and evaluate technical language use as well as Arabic grammar;
- read and analyse selected texts from one genre in modern standard Arabic in any of the following areas: Arabic literature, Islamic studies or Middle Eastern studies;
- demonstrate their ability to present their findings in a scholarly manner in Arabic; and
- Essay written in Arabic, 3000 words (50) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Oral presentation, 15 minutes (50) [LO 3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 12 hours of research supervision; and b) 118 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7814||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|