- Code ARAB6505
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Arabic
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies
This is a reading course for students who have completed Intermediate Arabic ‘B' or its equivalent. Readings should be completed in line with the Guidelines provided to students. Focus will be on one area of Arabic studies, i.e. Linguistics. Students enrolling in this course should be able to undertake a small-scale research project in Arabic Linguistics and present their findings in a scholarly manner.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate sufficient knowledge of some aspects of advanced Arabic syntax and morphology;
- demonstrate proficiency in more complex written syntactic and discourse structures and extend their capacity to use such structures appropriately to undertake a small-scale research in Arabic linguistics;
- demonstrate advanced ability to present their findings in a scholarly manner in Arabic;
- demonstrate advanced linguistic skills and functional understanding of Arabic Language; and
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of specific linguistic issues of Arabic syntax.
- 3,500 word essay in Arabic and due at the end of semester (50) [LO 1,2,4,5]
- Oral Presentation, 20 minutes (50) [LO 3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 24 hours of language classes and research supervision; and b) 106 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
The lecturer will provide material selected from Arabic newspaper news items, short stories, poems, novels and other sources.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9607||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|