- Code ARAB6510
- Unit Value 6 units
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Read, listen and comprehend to an advanced level, the Modern Standard Arabic typically used in Arabic-language newspapers and Internet sites, and on Arabic-language radio and television;
- Speak Arabic at an advanced level, in the style and format typically found on Arabic-language radio and television;
- Summarize, in Arabic ,various news reports;
- Write and translate complex, news reports and media texts from English into Arabic and from Arabic into English;
- Comprehend conversations, dialogue, and delivered news to an advanced level, on a range of topics.
- 1 (15) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- 1 (20) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- 1 (40) [LO 1,3]
- 1 (25) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 24 hours of online tutorials; and b) 106 hours of online activities, practice exercises, readings and assessment.
Requisite and Incompatibility
The core texts, including current articles from Arabic magazines, newspapers and journals, will be made available to enrolled students via Wattle.
Preliminary ReadingElgibali, A., & Korica, N., Media Arabic: A Coursebook for Reading Arabic News, Cairo: The American University of Cairo, 2007.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5592||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||31 Aug 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|
|5638||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||31 Aug 2021||29 Oct 2021||Online||N/A|