- Code ARAB6511
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Arabic
- Areas of interest International Relations, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Political Sciences, Diplomacy, Middle East Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
This course is a six-week in country immersion language and culture program conducted in an Arab country/state. A number of extracurricular activities will be part of the course. The course develops students' advanced communication skills and cultural understanding in an authentic environment and will develop confidence and competence using the language in the setting where it is spoken.
Students will only be permitted to travel upon completion of ANU required documentation, including, where required, the travel to a high risk destination form and the approval of all documentation by the relevant delegate.
Disclaimer: Applicants are advised that due to circumstances beyond the University's control (for example, specific international security concerns and international health crises) it may not be possible for students to commence or complete this course. An alternative lesson plan will be arranged by CAIS to fulfill the course requirements.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- comprehend and discuss personal, social and cultural topics in Arabic at advanced levels;
- initiate and maintain advanced face-to-face conversations with native Arabic speakers;
- demonstrate the ability to write and translate Arabic texts;
- critically analyse, extract and use information from spoken, audio visual and written texts;
- demonstrate sound application of Arabic grammar and vocabulary to an advanced level; and
- express ideas through spoken and written Arabic.
To receive consent, students need to apply at https://anu-au-sa.terradotta.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgramAngular&id=12113
- Class Participation and discussions (15) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
- Oral Presentation, 20 minutes (20) [LO 2,4,5,6]
- Journal writing (75 words per day, 6 days per week for 5 weeks) (20) [LO 1,2,3]
- Conversation (ongoing participation in daily conversation hour) (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,6]
- Final Essay 1500 words (20) [LO 1,3,4,5,6]
- 6 Quizzes (15) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
260 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 180 hours of contact delivered intensively: 30 hours per week for 6 weeks of lectures, tutorials, workshops and activities; and
b) 80 hours of independent student research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Al-Kitaab Fii Ta'allum al-Arabiyya 2nd edition
Enrolment in this course is selective and determined by an application process which requires a minimum GPA of 5.25. Students are expected to have successfully completed ARAB6502 or have equivalent level of language proficiency as demonstrated by placement test.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.