This course introduces students to basic textile surface treatments, including mineral and plant dyes, resist techniques and stitch. The conceptual underpinning of dye and surface decoration is introduced through discussion of historical and contemporary examples. Through research and experimentation with these techniques students will develop skills and knowledge relating to the rich historical, social and cultural meanings embedded in these processes and produce creative and conceptual projects.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate creative exploration, experimentation and integration of ideas, materials and
- techniques through group and individual studio projects
- Demonstrate technical competency in a range of dyeing, stitching and surface manipulation processes
- Recognise and work with relationships between concepts and processes
- Identify historical and theoretical contexts relevant for workshop projects.
- Portfolio of studio work and visual journal (80%) and Documentation (20%). Assessment includes periodic critique and review sessions that provide ongoing feedback on work in progress. (80) [LO null]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2514||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|