This course focuses on the analysis and translation of intermediate texts from various periods. Based on the knowledge acquired in Literary Chinese 1, the course attempts to improve the students’ proficiency in philological translation with a sample of different types of text. To meet the challenges posed by the selected texts, the course further introduces Sinological reference tools useful for their elucidation.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Recognise and translate the vocabulary of the text in hand through the use of general dictionaries.
- Identify and analyse the grammar and sentence structures used in a range of standard philosophical, anecdotal, and historical texts from the full span of pre-Qin and imperial times.
- Compare linguistic registers used in more complex texts written in Classical and Literary Chinese, and compose translations in registers of English appropriate to the original text.
- Explain and appraise textual references through the use of Sinological reference tools of specific relevance to the text at hand; and assess the text in relation to the broad intellectual history and literary culture of imperial China.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
On successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to engage at an Intermediate level of Literary Chinese.
Students with native speaker proficiency (may include cognate languages and dialects) must review the placement test site and contact the CAP Student Centre for appropriate enrolment advice. Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to take a language placement test to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to take a placement test should seek advice from the course or language convenor. Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor.
- TBC (null) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload3 contact hours per week. Total workload for the course is 130 hours including independent study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.