This is an advanced level Cantonese course. It focuses on building up students' communication skills in professional contexts and with multi-media materials. Utilising texts from contemporary mass media in Hong Kong, the course also incorporates training in practical translation and interpreting between Cantonese and Mandarin and discussions on social issues and popular culture in Hong Kong.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Use an active vocabulary of around 5,000 items.
- Analyze and produce the phrase and sentence structures used in a wide range of texts on such topics as education, emotions, religion, current affairs, transportation, travel, TV culture, and shopping.
- Evaluate what they have read, listened, and watched with the guidance of a teacher, and express personal viewpoints about current affairs confidently and in clear, well-structured patterns.
- Display a sophisticated socio-cultural awareness of sensitive issues in contemporary Cantonese society.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
On successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to engage at an Advanced level of Cantonese.
Students with native speaker proficiency (may include cognate languages and dialects) must review the placement test site and contact the CAP Student Centre for appropriate enrolment advice. Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to take a language placement test to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to take a placement test should seek advice from the course or language convenor. Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor.
- TBC (null) [LO null]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours over the semester, including in-class time and independent study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
The materials will be prepared by the lecturer and uploaded to Wattle before lectures.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.