- Code COMP3670
- Unit Value 6 units
Essential foundations for any machine learning application are a basic statistical analysis of the data to be processed, a solid understanding of the mathematical foundations underpinning machine learning as well as the basic classes of learning/adaptation concepts. Those foundations are bundled in this single, introductory course to machine learning in preparation for deeper explorations into the topic, but also as a standalone unit.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Develop an appreciation for what is involved in learning from data
- Understand basic data wrangling and data exploration
- Describe a variety of machine learning tasks: clustering, dimensionality reduction, regression and classification
- Understand how to formalise practical problems in terms of above tasks
- Interpret mathematical equations from linear algebra, calculus, statistics, and probability theory in terms of machine learning methods
- Understand how to perform evaluation of learning algorithms and model selection in practical problems
- Assignment (40) [LO null]
- Final Exam (60) [LO null]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
Up to 60 hours of total face-time, which includes interactions with lectures and tutors. Up to 60 hours of total preparation, repeat, assignment and practical exercise time.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9529||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|