- Code LATN6125
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Latin
- Areas of interest Classics and Ancient History
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Paul Burton
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2020
See Future Offerings
Students continue their study of Latin literature, culture, history and language through the close study of a single author, a genre, or a theme. The special topic for each course (one per semester) will be announced in the previous year. The class will read the prescribed text in class. Topics for discussion will emerge from the reading. There will be further tuition in and revision of the grammar and syntax of Latin.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Read significant passages of the Latin text(s) studied in class with the aid of a dictionary and a commentary, and read passages from the same author(s) at sight with some vocabulary glossed.
- Demonstrate knowledge of specific grammatical concepts and core vocabulary relevant to the text(s).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the author(s)' literary style, compositional approach and/or rhetorical effects.
- Discuss the literary, historical and cultural contexts of the text(s) studied.
- Demonstrate an understanding of scholarly approaches to the author(s), text(s) or genre(s) studied.
Other InformationStudents may enrol in this course more than once. This course is repeatable for credit, up to a maximum of 42 units, and if repeated must be repeated with a different topic each time.
Indicative AssessmentExercises (1000 words) 15% [LO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Essay (2500 words) 25% [LO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Literature review (1000 words) 10% [LO 5]
45-minute mid-semester test 10% [LO 1, 2, 3, 4]
Final three-hour exam 40% [LO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact, over 12 weeks, in language classes.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
As prescribed for each special topic.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2658||24 Feb 2020||02 Mar 2020||08 May 2020||05 Jun 2020||In Person||N/A|