- Code MATH2222
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
This course focuses on the language of mathematical arguments. Rather than attacking advanced topics, we will use simple mathematics to develop an understanding of how results are established. We begin with clearly stated and plausible assumptions or axioms and then develop a more and more complex theory from them. The course, and the lecturer, will have succeeded if you finish the course able to construct valid arguments of your own and to criticise those that are presented to you.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the role of rigorous proof in mathematics.
- Be able to construct written arguments using induction, proof by contradiction, counting arguments, and countability.
- Develop problem-solving skills in elementary number theory, graph theory, and probability theory.
Other InformationStudents with excellent results in either the ACT Specialist Mathematics double major, NSW HSC Mathematics Extension 2 or equivalent may take this course in first year.
Students enrolled in MATH1115 may be eligible to take MATH2222 and should contact the course convenor of MATH2222 for a permission code.
- Weekly problem sets (40%, LO 1,2,3) (40) [LO null]
- Mid-semester and final exams (25% and 35%, respectively, LO 1,2,3) (25) [LO null]
WorkloadThree lectures per week and regular workshops.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsNumber, Symmetry and Shape by Diane Herrmann and Paul J. Sally Jr.
Introduction to Mathematical Thinking: Problem-Solving and Proof by John D'Angelo and Douglas West
Preliminary ReadingGodel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter
Proofs and Refutations: The Logic of Mathematical Discovery by Imre Lakatos
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3552||24 Feb 2020||02 Mar 2020||31 Mar 2020||29 May 2020||In Person||N/A|