- Code SCRN2020
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Screen Studies
- Areas of interest Contemporary Europe, Cultural Studies, European Languages, Literature, Film
This course introduces students to post-war Italian cinema and its cultural contexts. It familiarises them with a variety of critical approaches and allows them to analyse films as representatives of specific cinematographic genres and styles (ranging from neorealism to postmodernism), and as reflections on and interpretations of post-war Italian culture. The course covers issues such as wartime resistance; fascism; migration within and to Italy; gender; organised crime and national identity.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- discuss and critically analyse different cinematographic genres and styles of post-war Italian Cinema;
- develop an understanding of the cultural context of post-war Italy;
- critically analyse the ways in which select post-war Italian films reflect on and interpret the social and political issues of their time; and
- develop knowledge of specialist language in relation to analysis of film.
Indicative AssessmentStudent-led seminar (40 minutes, group work individually assessed): 20% (LOs 1, 2, 3, 4)
2000-word research essay: 40% (LOs 1, 2, 3, 4)
2000-word reflective journal: 40% (LOs 1,2,3,4)
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time consisting of:
a)36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 12 hours of student-led seminars and 24 hours of instructor-led seminars (all classes will include
problem-based discussions and will be interactive); and
b) 94 hours of independent student research including scheduled screenings of films studied in the course.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsAll texts will be available on Wattle and films will be available through the ANU Library.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6494||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||In Person||N/A|