- Code TETM2005
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Tetum
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asia Pacific Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Adelaide Lopes
- Mode of delivery Online
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2020
See Future Offerings
All activities that form part of this course will be delivered remotely in Semester 2 2020.
Tetum is the language of Timor-Leste. The study of Tetum is essential for anyone wishing to understand Timor-Leste's society, culture and history. The ANU offers to rare opportunity to complete a minor in Tetum.Timor-Leste is a close neighbour of Australia and ties between these two countries are increasing through international security, trade and development projects. Students completing a minor in Tetum will be uniquely placed to engage with the Timorese people, state, and society. The four courses needed to complete the minor are not offered on campus, but are instead available 100% online and can be studied from anywhere. Students who complete this language minor will reach an Intermediate level of Tetum skills and knowledge.
In this course, students will improve their Tetum language skills to an intermediate proficiency. Students will learn how to discuss and write about a variety of topics including government officials and functions, health, the environment, and Timorese history.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Use an active vocabulary of about 3500 words; read and understand short authentic written texts with a help of a dictionary.
- Understand, use and translate a broad range of sentence structures in extended texts on a range of non-technical topics such as work roles, administration, law and government, violence, environment, and the history of Timor-Leste.
- Communicate in speaking with spontaneity and confidence on topics including discussion of gender roles, Timor-Leste-Australia relations, law and crime, and health; write simple passages on non-technical topics with a fair degree of accuracy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cultural issues and current affairs in Timor-Leste, including such topics as dating and romance, the environment, and Timor-Leste’s place in the world.
This course is 100% online.
On successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to engage at an Intermediate level of Tetum.
Students with native speaker proficiency (may include cognate languages and dialects) must review the language proficiency assessment site and contact the CAP Student Centre for appropriate enrolment advice. Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to undertake a language proficiency assessment to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to undertake a language proficiency assessment should seek advice from the course or language convenor. Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor.
- 1 Oral presentation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- 4 written tests (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- 2 oral tests (50) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Assignment translation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Listening and summarise (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
1.30 hour per week of face-to-face online classes, with an expected 7 hours per week of independent study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
To be confirmed
Preliminary ReadingCourse materials will be supplied on Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.