Course not offered in 2020
The course aims to give postgraduate students who have demonstrated or shown potential as leaders a wide understanding of styles of leadership and influence. In line with the interdisciplinary and peer-learning ethos of Vice-Chancellor courses, students will be exposed to the varying perspectives on leadership and influence.
The wide range of leadership activities that students enrolling in Vice-Chancellor courses have been involved in has been extraordinary. VCPG6003 will aim to bring postgraduate students together and use peer-learning strategies to allow students to share their varying experiences and perspectives on leadership. VCPG6003 will target:
1. postgraduate students interested in exploring various models and styles of leadership, and
2. students who have already demonstrated leadership or leadership potential.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Evaluate and understand the application of different disciplinary and cultural models of leadership and influence.
- Demonstrate high level skills in working in teams; facilitate learning and provide developmental feedback to others.
- Communicate effectively and persuasively in oral and written forms and be able to quickly sum up key issues emerging from discussions/meetings.
- Formulate a clear personal set of values about leadership and models of leadership.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge learnt to understand and engage a senior or influential leader.
- Analyse your learning processes and reflect on, plan and resource your learning.
- Apply a wide repertoire of leadership skills in a range of contexts including formal and informal settings and face-to-face and online environments.
- Facilitating a tutorial (20) [LO 1,2,3,6,7]
- Oral presentation at the end of course on what you have learnt about leadership and influence (10) [LO 2,3,4,6]
- Group research project to be presented to the Vice-Chancellor on how to enhance the ANU student experience (20) [LO 1,4,6,7]
- Learning Portfolio due in two stages — stage one 20%, and stage two (50) [LO 4,5,6]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
Students will be expected to attend two hours of tutorials and two hours of lectures a week plus a once off workshop in preparation for facilitating a tutorial.
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the ANU College of Science to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Not required. Included on Wattle
Assumed KnowledgeCourse entry to be based on application statement and reference and judged on evidence of leadership/influence experience and/or potential.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.