- Code FREN6513
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject French
- Areas of interest Contemporary Europe, Cultural Studies, European Languages, Communications, European Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
This course will explore the way in which media representation reflects and influences contemporary French society. We will cover some of the most topical issues in France today, such as the rise of far right movements, immigration and religious controversies, and debates on the future of the EU. As well as deepening students' understanding of French culture and society, the course is also designed to consolidate and extend speaking, listening, writing and reading skills in French through the in-depth critical study of televised news, radio, and online news media. Students who have completed this course will demonstrate advanced levels of linguistic expression in French, in addition to substantial discipline-based research skills and extensive knowledge of contemporary French media and society.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate in-depth familiarity with the content, and political and socio-cultural orientation of the main French magazines, online news media, televised news and radio;
- display a comprehensive understanding of how media representation contributes to the shaping of public opinion in France;
- write and speak persuasively regarding personal opinions on topics covered;
- demonstrate an advanced level of reading comprehension and writing in French;
- demonstrate an advanced level of listening and speaking skills in French; and
- conduct extensive research into issues of contemporary relevance in French society.
- Oral debate (20 mins) (30) [LO 1,2,3,5]
- In-class listening comprehension test (50 mins) (20) [LO 1,2,5]
- Written assignment (2500-3000 words) (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,6]
- Class participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3 hours of class time per week, and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsWritten and audio-visual materials will be posted on Wattle as required throughout the semester.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.