- Code INTR8072
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Department of International Relations
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject International Relations
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Maria Fleurdelis Tanyag
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2020
See Future Offerings
All activities that form part of this course will be delivered remotely in Sem 2 2020.
This course draws on social science generally and International Relations more specifically to provide students with the skills to evaluate and construct claims and arguments and to develop work that is methodologically sound. While recognising that particular epistemologies can favour particular modes of analysis and data gathering, the course also explains how methods for generating research findings can then be open to multiple strategies for analysis. It examines approaches to research design, qualitative and quantitative methods of data gathering, forms of measurement, and modes of analysis and synthesis of research results. The course is not designed as a methods course in the abstract. Rather it is designed to enhance students’ capacity to deal with the design and methodological challenges of their thesis research.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge and a critical understanding of the practice and challenges of research design and methods
- Identify and critically engage with methods of investigation, data gathering and analysis
- Apply that knowledge to the development of a research proposal and plan
- Communicate their critical understanding of research design and methods in a clear and concise way through assignments and class participation
The course is conducted through seminars with an emphasis on interactive teaching aimed at engaging all students in active participation.
- Please note that this assessment is indicative only. The actual assessment for the course is provided in the Class Summary prior to the commencement of the semester in which the course is being conducted and may differ from this assessment. (null) [LO null]
- Short Essay (15) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Long Essay (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Take-Home Exam (35) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Approximately 130 hours comprising seminars as well as associated preparation, independent study, and assessment time.
Please note this is a general guide, averaged over the semester and the final hours ultimately depend on the individual's ability in reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
To be advised.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.