• Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
  • ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
  • Classification Transitional
  • Course subject Spanish
  • Areas of interest European Languages
  • Academic career PGRD
  • Mode of delivery In Person
  • Co-taught Course

This course will analyse in depth a series of current affairs in Spain and Latin America, as well as the impact of world current affairs on the Spanish-speaking world. A set of current and historical topics and their social and historical contexts will be analyzed. The approach will be thematic rather than chronological, but within each topic, a chronology of events needed to understand the present will be explored. Throughout the course students will analyze radio and TV news, as well as material drawn from the Spanish-speaking press. Students will also write and produce their own radio program. An mp3 player with relevant interviews and radio programs on the genres or artists studied through the course will be lent to students.

Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:

Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:

  1. Source and summarise relevant information from extended sequences of spoken Spanish (including radio programs, radio documentaries and lectures) using the correct grammatical structures and descriptive language.
  2. Analyse news as cultural texts by using, integrating and applying the relevant ethnographic, political and sociological information contained in the course materials and other sources.
  3. Present with clarity and confidence and discuss current affairs topics in oral and written form.
  4. Examine different Spanish varieties as reflected in TV and radio programs, to differentiate the accent, vocabulary and grammar of those varieties.
  5. Research, select, combine and integrate information relevant to a Spanish current affairs topic and its socio-historical context, and present it in a coherent fashion in both written and spoken form.

Indicative Assessment

Two examinations, 2 hours each (10% and 30%  for a total of 40%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Written assignment, 750-1000 words (5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Tutorial work (including online work), 750-1000 words [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Two oral presentations, 20 min and 30-35 min (10% and 15% for a total of 25%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Class performance and participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 5]

In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle. 

The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.


130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3 hours of class per week, and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.

Requisite and Incompatibility

To enrol in this course you must have successfully completed SPAN6504 or have equivalent level of language proficiency as demonstrated by placement test. You are not able to enrol in this course if you have previously completed SPAN3100. Alternatively you may gain permission of the Course Convener to enrol in this course.


Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.  

If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.

Student Contribution Band:
Unit value:
6 units

If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.  Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.

6.00 0.12500
Domestic fee paying students
Year Fee
2020 $3570
International fee paying students
Year Fee
2020 $5460
Note: Please note that fee information is for current year only.

Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links

ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.

There are no current offerings for this course.

Responsible Officer: Registrar, Student Administration / Page Contact: Website Administrator / Frequently Asked Questions