- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Asian Studies, Language Studies, Linguistics
- Major code JPLN-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact AsPr Duck-Young Lee
Japanese Linguistics covers all aspects of linguistics as they pertain to the Japanese language—from issues in phonetics, phonology, and syntax to sociolinguistics, the history of the Japanese language and its teaching as a foreign language. A Japanese linguistics major provides students with a solid foundation upon which to develop interests in the Japanese language, its use and its structure. The Japanese linguistics major is designed to complement the Japanese language major. Knowledge of the Japanese language is required for some but not all courses in the Japanese linguistics major. Students are expected to have some familiarity with the Japanese language to be able to complete the major.
- Collect, organize and analyze linguistic dataUnderstand and analyze the link between language and various dimensions of culture.
- Understand the social functions of language and the roles they play in culture.
- Form hypotheses about Japanese language structure/language use and test those hypotheses against new data.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of processes of language change and variation, and the role of language in reflecting and constructing social identities.
- Demonstrate a knowledge if issues in Japanese language policy and be able to take a role in the discussion of such issues
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must include:
12 units from completion of the following course(s):
|LING1001||Introduction to the Study of Language||6|
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
|LING1002||Language and Society||6|
|LING2003||Grammar of the World's Languages||6|
|LING2010||Sounds of the World's Languages: Phonetics and Phonology||6|
A minimum of 18 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|ASIA2001||Language in Asia and the Pacific||6|
|ASIA3012||Readings in Asian Societies and Histories||6|
|ASIA 3013: Read Asian Soc & Hist_B|
|JPNS 2009: Japanese Lexicon|
|JPNS 2019: Japenese Phonetics & Phonology|
|JPNS2024||Japanese Grammar and Expressions||6|
|JPNS 3011: Lang Variation & Change: Japan|
|JPNS3012||Teaching Japanese: Content||6|
|JPNS3013||Japanese - English Translation||6|
|JPNS3014||Teaching Japanese: Method||6|
A maximum of 12 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
Linguistic (LING) or Language Studies (LANG) coursesBack to the top