- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code ADHC-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Advanced Hispanic Culture minor is designed to provide students with an opportunity to engage with the rich and varied cultural, sociological, political and historical aspects of the Spanish- speaking world, and at the same time expand their proficiency in the Spanish language. Students can choose from courses in high and popular culture, current affairs, literature and film, society and music, biography/autobiography, and the wide range of uses of the essay in Spanish and Latin American academic and political discourses.
Upon successful completion of this minor, students will be able to:
- Function effectively and confidently in Spanish in a variety of contexts at an advanced level.
- Engage in an informed debate about socio-historical, cultural and literary aspects of the Hispanic world
- Analyse and critique a variety of text genres and films in Spanish within the socio-historical and cultural context of Spanish-speaking societies.
- Develop critical skills in the formal analysis of literary texts, films and Spanish essays
- Conduct a research project and/or culture-related study in Spanish, finding relevant literature and structuring, writing and presenting a comprehensive text in Spanishfollowing the writing and academic conventions of the Spanish-speaking countries
- Understand and use advanced grammatical structures when expressing themselves in oral and written form.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A minimum of 6 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|SPAN3012||Intermediate Spanish II (Language and Culture)||6|
A maximum of 18 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|SPAN 2100: Living Hispanic Language|
|SPAN3100||Current Affairs in the Spanish-speaking World||6|
|SPAN2102||CULTURA, cultura, kultura: Spanish Language and Culture Workshop||6|
|SPAN3101||Music and Society in the Spanish Speaking World||6|
A maximum of 6 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|LANG3001||Translation across Languages: the translation of literary texts||6|
|LANG3002||Translation across Languages: specialised material||6|
|LANG 3003: Cont Euro Narrative|
|LANG 3005: Lang and Ident Eur Cont|