- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Anthropology, Cultural Studies, History, Asian Studies, Literature
- Minor code INDS-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact AsPr McComas Taylor
This minor brings alive the social, cultural and political debates that have defined India and its neighbours. It examines Indian political institutions and the rise of Indian democracy, ongoing questions of poverty, development and violence, the influence of technology, and the vibrant cultural traditions and innovations from India have inspired the world. The study of India and its neighbours gives students unique insight into a part of Asia that is emerging as a crucial force in the 21st Century.
The India Studies minor is designed to complement the Hindi and Sanskrit language majors, though knowledge of these languages is not required for courses in the India Studies minor.
- Explain historical and current events and developments that have shaped the South Asian subcontinent and contemporary India,
- Identify the contemporary socio-cultural and political systems of India,
- Understand current debates relating to regional cooperation and unity in the context of tensions in traditions,
- Explain the global significance of events and developments in India and across the region.
- Understand the processes and disciplinary approaches through which current knowledge about India Studies has developed.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
6 units from completion of one of the following courses:
ASIA1025 Asia and the Pacific: Power, diversity and change
ASIA1030 Asia and the Pacific in Motion
6 units from completion of the following compulsory course:
ASIA2271 The Making of South Asia
12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
ASIA3272 Truth and Falsity in Indian History and Politics
ASIA2270 India in the Age of Asian Empires: South Asian History to 1757
ASIA2116 India’s Culture Wars
ASIA2280 Anthropology and Technology in India
ASIA2109 Violence, Poverty, and Politics in India
ASIA2275 The Pleasures and Powers of Stories in South Asia
INTR2014 Indian Foreign and Security Policy