- Total units 24 Units
- Specialisation code ENGL-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
In this specialisation, experts from Australia’s leading university in research and teaching of languages will equip you with critical language learning approaches and an in-depth understanding of the practical application of those approaches. You will be taught by English language specialists, linguists and experts in oral, dramatic and textual arts.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the fine detail of the structure of English
- Understand key differences in texts across a range of registers and genres.
- Analyse the meanings of words
- Use theoretical approaches and methodologies for critical thinking about texts.
- Conduct research on a topic related to the English language, and to write an essay on their research outcomes.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
|The Structure of English
A minimum of 6 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|Introduction to the Study of Language
|LING 6522: Seminar on Semantics
|The History of the English Language
A maximum of 12 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|Communication for Computing Professionals II
|Creative Writing 3 Advanced Fiction
|ENGN 8150: Professional Communication I
|ENGN 8160: Professional Communication II
|Extended University English
|Biography and History
|Digital Humanities: Theories and Projects
|Writing in the Public Sphere
|Writing International Relations
|Advanced Academic English
|Qualitative Research Methods in Language Studies
|Writing Public Policy
|Communicating Science with the Public