- Code ARTV1501
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
- Academic career UGRD
- AsPr Andrzej Zielinski
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course introduces students to basic skills, techniques and processes of painting with water based paints and mediums. Studio projects focus on the observation and handling of tonal values, and colour systems and their application in the composition of paintings. Fundamental principles and concepts of representational and abstract painting are introduced and students are encouraged to learn from historical and contemporary examples. The projects involve working from the observation, landscape, still life, and imagination, with the focus on the colour and physical qualities of paint. Studio theory is delivered as a series of lectures.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- utilise skills relevant to Painting in response to Workshop projects;
- explore materials used in Painting projects;
- recognise relationships between concept and processes in painting; and
- identify historical and theoretical contexts relevant to Painting workshop projects.
School of Art & Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
- Portfolio of studio work. Assessment includes periodic critique and review sessions that provide ongoing feedback on work in progress. (80) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Visual journal and Documentation (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.