- Code ARTV1704
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
This course is an introduction to the basic skills and techniques associated with stencil and silk screen processes. Using a combination of autographic (drawing) and reprographic techniques students will develop a body of work in the studio over the course of the semester. To complement the studio-based delivery, students will participate in lectures and tutorials contextualising relevent conceptual, historical and contemporary practices. Work health and safety instruction is an integral component of this course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- competently utilise a range of skills relevant to drawing, stencilling and screen printing in response to set tasks;
- independently explore the potential of materials relevant to drawing, stencil and silk screen printing;
- experiment with the application of concepts and processes relevant to planographic printmaking; and
- demonstrate use of relevant historical traditions and conventions across the fields of stenciling and screen printing and their relationship to drawing.
Other InformationSchool of Art & Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
- Portfolio of studio work (80) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Documentation (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up of:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks comprising lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.