- Code ARTV6507
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
Drawing on the declaration "All artists borrow, great artists steal' this studio-based course explores the diverse ways in which painters have drawn on influences from artists from one another, from other times and other cultures. This is a studio-based course supplemented by lectures and seminars exploring interesting examples of this kind of cross-fertilization across the history and contemporary practice of painting. In the studio students will explore the work of artists of interest to them as a means of enriching their own practice.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate and describe a resourceful exploration of a range of painting principles, processes and material techniques drawn from historical and/or contemporary precedents;
- apply appropriate advanced painting skills and knowledge tailored to the development of their individual interests;
- reflect on the role of formal and material decisions in the generation of meaning and affect in painting; and
- clearly articulate their processes of creative thinking, analysis and critical reflection.
- Body of studio work (70) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Work in progress review (10) [LO 1,3,4]
- Seminar presentation, 15min (10) [LO 1,3,4]
- Research and visual diary (10) [LO 1,2,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact comprising lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice (a total of 4 hours contact per teaching week)
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice
Requisite and Incompatibility
Assumed KnowledgeStudents must have an effective working knowledge of painting principles and techniques, some knowledge of painting history and the contemporary field and have developed the fundamentals of an independent practice.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.