- Code ASTR8016
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Areas of interest Astronomy and Astrophysics, Photonics, Physics, Biomedical Science, Environmental Science
- Academic career PGRD
- Prof Francois Rigaut
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course has been adjusted for remote participation in Sem 2 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions. On-campus activities will also be available.
This course covers topics related to active areas of optical and infrared instrumentation research. The course spans a variety of subjects to introduce a global understanding of optical scientific instrumentation, covering areas including optics, detectors, signal and noise. It uses examples from astronomical instrumentation but the principles covered can also be applied to other types of optical scientific instrumentation, including those used in medical, environmental, physics, and other applications.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Apply theoretical and practical foundations of optical and remote sensing knowledge in an advanced topic;
- Conduct background research by reading and understanding current technical literature;
- Analyse cutting edge optical and remote sensing instrument systems;
- Organise the technical ideas behind optical and remote sensing instrument systems;
- Understand the link between science requirements, instrument design and data analysis.
- 3 assignments (45) [LO 1,2,3]
- 1 lab report (15) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Final Exam (25) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Student presentation (15) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- 2 hours of lectures and 1 hour of tutorial per week
- Approximately 10 hours of pre-laboratory preparation and lab work
- Approximately 84 hours of self-study which will include preparation for lectures, presentations and other assessment tasks (average 7 hours per week ).
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsLecture notes and select references relevant to topic, as well as research articles from technical journals.
12 units of university level mathematics for physicists and engineers; 12 units of first year university advanced level physics. Students must be familiar with the basic theory of optics, including familiarity with Maxwell’s equations and wave concepts.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6211||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||14 Sep 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|