- Code COMP7240
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Academic career PGRD
- AsPr Qing Wang
- Mode of delivery In Person
Autumn Session 2021
See Future Offerings
Note: Non-DADAN/MADAN students wanting to enrol in the non-standard session offerings are required to seek approval from their Program Convener.
This course is an introduction to database concepts and the general skills for designing and using databases, with a focus on relational database concepts and techniques. Current industry developments of database systems such as NoSQL databases will be introduced at the end of the course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Interpret and explain the basic concepts of the relational model and understand its mathematical foundation,
- Apply SQL language to define, query and manipulate a relational database,
- Apply conceptual database modelling methods such as entity-relationship model to design a relational database,
- Research, justify and apply database design methods on functional dependencies and normal forms to evaluate the quality of a relational database design,
- Interpret and discuss query processing and optimisation, transaction and security management in a relational database management system,
- Reflect upon state of the art of database management systems and big data management challenges.
- Written assignments (35%) - LO 1, 3 to 5 (35) [LO 1,3,5]
- Online quizzes (5%) - LO 1 to 5 (5) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- SQL assignment (10%) - LO 2 (10) [LO 2]
- Final examination (50%) - LO 1 to 6 (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Approx 130 hours
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3593||15 Mar 2021||02 Apr 2021||02 Apr 2021||14 May 2021||In Person||N/A|