- Code ENGN4613
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Physics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Engineering
- Areas of interest Photonics, Physics, Engineering, Nuclear Physics
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Chathura Bandutunga
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course has been adjusted for remote participation in Sem 2 2021, however students are encouraged to attend on-campus activities if possible.
This course will cover the application of photonics outside of the telecommunications applications (covered in ENGN4513) and includes fundamental knowledge of a wide range of photonic sensors and instruments. These technologies find applications in architecture, astronomy, automotive, aerospace and structural health (bridges, ships), as well as the increasing use of photonics in medical procedures and diagnostics including endoscopy, laser therapy and dosimetry. Laboratory work covers both hands-on, fibre-based experiments and software simulations.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the technologies that underly key components in a photonic sensing system;
- Know how to quantify and understand the effect of important parameters such as calibration, linearity and signal-to-noise;
- Design a simple topology for a sensing system by integrating key photonic components;
- Present the design, explain how the system works and communicate details of its performance and limitations.
Course page http://eng.anu.edu.au/study/currentstudents/courses
- Assignments x 5 (30) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Laboratory (Includes a design project and in-class project presentation) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Final Exam (40) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
• Face-to face component which may consist of 3 x 1 hour lectures per week and a total of 18 laboratory hours per semester (6 x 3 hour sessions).
• Approximately 76 hours of self directed study which will include preparation for lectures and other assessment tasks.
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
First and second year physics
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5424||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||14 Sep 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|