- Code FREN2024
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject French
- Areas of interest European Languages, Language Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Ash Collins
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course builds on the knowledge of French language and culture acquired in FREN1004 or through equivalent pathways of study. The aim of the course is to expand students' reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in French, as well as to reflect on different aspects of Francophone cultures and societies through the introductory study of a variety of written and audio-visual materials.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- competently engage with a range of linguistic forms of the language in both written and spoken contexts;
- understand a range of written and audiovisual texts, such as literary extracts, short films, and songs;
- recognise and use different language styles and registers;
- present discussions and arguments in spoken and written French; and
- understand aspects of Francophone cultures and societies.
- Online activities, 2-3 hours/week (20) [LO 1,3,5]
- Two in-class tests, 90 mins each (25% each) (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Oral presentation, 5-7 mins (20) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks, including online/self-directed and tutorial activities
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
N/A Minor Amendments Only
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2018||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||View|