- Code GERM3008
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest European Languages, European Studies, Language Studies
With an emphasis on academic German, this course continues with the development of listening and reading comprehension skills and with the development of oral and written communication. Students will learn and practise how to write a university essay (Hausarbeit) in German and how to give a class presentation with academic content (Referat).The course introduces students to German literature of the 1990s and engages students in the study of topical issues in contemporary German-speaking societies. The latter includes a research project on Switzerland. Furthermore, the course provides students with learning opportunities in the area of intercultural communication.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Select an appropriate formulation from a broad range of language to express him/herself clearly, without having to restrict what he/she wants to say.
- Use the language for academic purposes, e.g. essay writing with appropriate referencing in German
- Read and analyse longer literary texts, e.g. novels, and relate them to German-speaking culture.
- Understand current affairs in the German-speaking societies, and to analyse and critique them
- Conduct a small research project in German. This includes developing research questions, finding relevant literature about the chosen topic, and structuring and writing a research essay.
- Demonstrate generic skills, e.g., critical thinking, written and oral communication, research, teamwork.
Indicative AssessmentEssay, 700 words (15%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6]
Research project, 1000 words (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6]
In-class mid-semester test, 2 hours (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 6]
Group Project, involving compilation of class magazine (5%) [Learning Outcomes 5, 6]
In-class oral presentation, 15 min (15%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6]
Final examination, 2.5 hours (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6]
Online listening and reading comprehension quizzes, 20 min/week (5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 4, 6]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3.5 hours of class per week, and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Students should have an assumed language proficiency equivalent to the successful completion of GERM3007.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.