- Code HIST8016
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of History
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject History
- Areas of interest Australian Studies, History
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Lawrence Bamblett
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
Second Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course compares and contrasts colonial encounters across space and time. It will spend some time discussing the Australian experience and the impact of European colonisation on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. It will also place those experiences within a comparative framework and study other colonial encounters in depth. More generally, issues to do with the nature and experiences of colonialism, the impact of European expansion, ideas about race, identity and decolonisation will be considered.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate in-depth understanding of the nature of encounters between Aborigines and native peoples and colonisers;
- compare and contrast the experiences of colonialism across space and time; and
- undertake research using primary and secondary sources and produce assessment pieces demonstrating a grasp of historical examination.
- Research Journal (2500 words) (30) [LO 2,3]
- Online Forums (weekly) (10) [LO 2,3]
- Research Essay (4000 words) (60) [LO 1]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks, 24 hours of seminars and workshop-like activities; 9 hours of lectures; 3 hours of individual consultation with convenor.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
There is no prescribed text.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.