- Code LATN6002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Latin
- Areas of interest Classics and Ancient History
This course introduces students to the study of classical Latin through a series of carefully graded readings in Latin literature and Roman history. As students work through these readings they are introduced to the fundamental principles that underpin the Latin language while acquiring a working vocabulary.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Recognize and translate around 50% of the morphological forms and grammatical structures found in Latin texts.
- Read and translate at sight passages of Latin containing a limited range of grammatical structures and a basic foundational vocabulary.
- Read and translate a greater range of passages in Latin with the aid of a dictionary and/or grammatical reference.
- Discuss with authority aspects of Latin grammar.
Indicative AssessmentFortnightly Online Exercises (35%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3]
Fortnightly Online Vocabulary Tests (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2]
15-minute in-class presentation (10%) [Learning Outcome 4]
45-minute Mid-semester Test (15%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2]
Final Three-hour Examination (30%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2]
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact in language classes over 12 weeks, and
b) 82-hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Hans Ørberg, Lingua Latina: Pars I: Familia Romana (Focus, 2011)
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5112||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||31 Aug 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|