- Code LING6028
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Linguistics
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Linguistics
This course is available for remote (online) learning only.
The course will examine certain characteristic features of modern Japanese from a general linguistic perspective. A selection of topics will be discussed in conjunction with relevant literature.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of major linguistic and socio-cultural issues relevant to the Japanese language, and demonstrate an ability to discuss them critically and rigorously.
- Analyse and discuss chosen specific aspects of Japanese linguistics in a clear and logically persuasive writing style.
- Research and construct a short, correctly referenced bibliography on a chosen topic in Japanese linguistics.
- Critique a major text important to a particular topic in Japanese linguistics.
- Conduct original research, applying linguistic knowledge to data gathering and analysis.
- Article summary (20) [LO 3,4]
- Essay (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- In-class mid term exam (20) [LO 1,2]
- Final exam (20) [LO 1,2]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours in total including in class time and independent study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsCourse materials will be available on Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7029||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||14 Sep 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|