- Code MATH1042
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Philosophy, Mathematics, Physics, Science, Science Communication
A course for science or non-science students jointly offered by Mathematics and Philosophy that aims to provide a conceptual understanding of some of the many faces of the large-scale universe. We will discuss general issues relating to the nature of philosophy and science, space and time, and the universe as a whole.
Note: This is an HPO. Students who take this option will complete extra work of a more theoretical nature. Some of the assignment and exam questions will be replaced by questions requiring deeper conceptual understanding.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an understanding in outline of the history of cosmology, and of contemporary cosmology;
- demonstrate a conceptual understanding of relativity theory;
- appreciate that many of the theories underlying modern cosmology are contentious;
- understand what would be involved in further study in philosophy of science, and in cosmology; and
- make a habit of an educated questioning of scientific orthodoxy.
- Tutorial participation (10) [LO 4,5]
- Essay, 600 words (15) [LO 1]
- Essay, 1,000 words (25) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Exam, 2 hours, during the examination period (50) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Two lectures per week and regular workshops.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3439||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|