- Code MATH6205
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
This course has been adjusted for remote participation in Sem 1 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions. On-campus activities will also be available.
This course introduces students to the key concepts and techniques of Differential Geometry. Possible topics include:
- Surfaces in Euclidean space
- General differentiable manifolds
- Tangent spaces and vector fields
- Differential forms
- Riemannian manifolds
- Gauss-Bonnet theorem
Note: Graduate students attend joint classes with undergraduates but are assessed separately.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the concepts and language of differential geometry and its role in modern mathematics
2. Analyse and solve complex problems using appropriate techniques from differential geometry
3. Apply problem-solving with differential geometry to diverse situations in physics, engineering or other mathematical contexts
4. Apply differential geometry techniques to specific research problems in mathematics or other fields
4-5 written assignments involving problem-solving, proofs of theorems and extension of theory (20-25% each; LO 1, 2, 3, 4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree lectures per week and workshops by arrangement.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Mathematical Sciences Institute to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3253||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|