- Code POLS6100
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Politics and International Relations
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Political Science
- Areas of interest Political Sciences
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr April Biccum
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Assess the extent to which empire as a category of analysis is adequate to describing contemporary global politics and North/South relations;
- Compare and assess different theoretical and normative perspectives on empire;
- Appreciate the potential contribution of postcolonial theory to political theory generally and a normative understanding of empire;
- Have developed some capacity to apply theoretical analysis to empirical/historical/cultural sources;
Major Essay (4,000 words) (60%) (LO 1,2,3,4)
Take Home Exam (2,000 words (40%) (LO 1,2,3,4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 24 hours of seminars over 12 weeks; and,
b) 106 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5865||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||31 Aug 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|