- Code STST8027
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Strategic and Defence Studies Centre
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Strategic Studies
- Areas of interest History, Political Sciences
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Offered in See Future Offerings
The course places contemporary insurgencies (in places such as Iraq and Afghanistan) in a strong historical framework by examining earlier examples of internal conflict from North America to Southeast and South Asia. It will also encourage students to evaluate contemporary counter-insurgency practice, including those campaigns being waged as part of the attempt to defeat transnational terrorism, against the backdrop of the evolution of counterinsurgency strategies.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Describe the content and context of historical theories of insurgency and counter-insurgency;
- Analyse the conduct of counter-insurgency operations and identify the role in which factors such as command, geography, technology, tactics, external support/interference, popular support play in determining their outcome;
- Conduct historical research and critically evaluate historical evidence; and
- Express themselves clearly, eloquently, and persuasively in a variety of formats.
- Short written assignment (20) [LO 1]
- Essay (40) [LO 1]
- Examination (40) [LO 1]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Students undertaking this course could expect a workload of 10 hours a week. This is inclusive of actual contact hours for lectures and also out of class preparation time.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5645||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||In Person||N/A|